Sunday, March 27, 2011

Asparagus Soup

I told you I was into soups.  I have about four more planned for this week, but I will only post them if they turn out as good as I hope they do. 

2 med onions, peeled and chopped
3 T butter
1 1/2 quarts chicken stock
4 red potatoes
2 bunches tender asparagus, tough ends removed and cut into 1/4 in pieces
2 cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
sea salt

Saute onions gently in butter until tender.  Add stock, garlic and potatoes.  Bring to a boil and skim.  Simmer for about 15 minutes.  Add asparagus and simmer another 10 minutes or so until tender.  Blend with a handheld blender.  Pass the soup through a strainer to remove any strings from the asparagus (I didn't find this step necessary.  Use your own judgment). Season to taste.  Reheat gently, ladle into heated bowls and serve with cultured cream. 

Davis and I really enjoyed this recipe because we both love asparagus.  Adelynn on the other hand didn't really like it.  I am not sure if it was just the mood she was in or if she wasn't pleased with the smell/taste.  I will try again soon to see if she likes it. 

These soups make great baby food.  If you are worried about salt and other flavorings in your babies diet, just set some soup aside before adding it.  Puree the soup if it isn't already, put it into ice cube trays, freeze and store in plastic baggies with the name of the soup and the date.  When it is time to feed baby simply microwave the cube in a microwave safe dish for about 20-30 seconds and walla!  baby has a delicious and nutritious homemade meal in seconds.  Adelynn loves most of my soups (minus liver dumpling and asparagus). 

No comments:

Post a Comment