Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Stock, and a dash of insight on MEAT

The base of most soups is some type of stock: vegetable, beef, chicken, etc.  I have started making my own stock because most broths and stocks at the store are loaded with all kinds of preservatives, excess sodium, and things like MSG and the ones that aren't loaded with these things are too expensive.

Vegetable stock: For my vegetable stock I save the parts of the vegetables I would have thrown away (carrot tops, onion peels, cabbage cores, etc.) and I freeze them in plastic bags until I have enough to fill my large pot.  To cook, I cover the vegetables with water and cook them until they are practically liquid themselves (about 5-8 hours).  Strain the stock, discard the mushy veggies and add salt and pepper to taste.  I find this a very cost effective and healthy option.

Chicken Stock: I made chicken stock for the first time last week.  The recipe called for a whole chicken cut into several pieces.  This was the first time I really cooked with a whole chicken before.  Usually I just buy the parts that I know how to use and that don't remind me that I am indeed eating an animal (boneless skinless breasts, thighs and tenderloins).  Chopping that whole chicken into pieces was pretty much life altering.  I love eating meat  and I believe that my body needs to eat meat (sparingly of course) to be strong and healthy, but sometimes I forget that the breast, thighs and tenderloins wrapped in that shiny attractive package come from an animal, an animal that lived and breathed.  By chopping, snapping and tearing that chicken (bone, ligaments, muscle) into pieces it totally hit me that I was eating MEAT.  I started crying and praying.  I thanked my Heavenly Father for the life of this beautiful chicken, that she lived and died so that I might have life and strength.  Luckily I had bought a free range chicken so I had some hope at least that she had a good life.  I turned her into a stock by adding her to 4 quarts of water, 2 T vinegar, 1 large onion, 2 carrots and 3 celery sticks.  I let that soak for 1 hour.  Then I brought it to a boil, removed the scum from the top and cooked for 24 hours. About ten minutes before finishing I added a bunch of parsley.  I strained the stock, removed the chicken meat from the carcass and froze the chicken and the stock for future use.  After this experience I have made a commitment to buying my meat from animals that are humanely treated and killed and I feel like buying meat that reminds me where it really came from is good because I am more grateful and less wasteful.

Beef Stock: Making beef stock was also an interesting experience and after reading the recipe you will understand why.  Four pounds beef marrow and knuckle bones, 1 calves foot, cut into pieces, 3 pounds meaty rib or neck bones, 4 quarts water, 1/2 c. vinegar, 3 onions, 3 carrots, 3 celery sticks, several sprigs of fresh thyme, tied together, 1 t peppercorns, 1 bunch of parsley.   Place bones and such in a very large stock pot with vinegar and water and let stand for one hour.  Meanwhile place meaty bones in a roasting pan and brown at 350 in the oven.  When well browned, add to the pot along with chopped vegetables.  Pour the fat off the roasting pan, add a little water and scrape off the browned bits, add this to the pot.  Bring to a boil.  Skim the scum that rises to the top and then add the thyme and peppercorns.  Simmer stock for up to 72 hours.  Add the parsley ten minutes before finishing. Remove bones with tongs or slotted spoon.  Strain the stock into a large bowl.  Let cool in the fridge and remove the fat that rises to the top.  Transfer stock to smaller containers and freeze.

Fish Stock:  I made some fish stock this weekend.  I was a little worried about it because sometimes fish things can turn out a little iffy, but it turned out great.  The recipe called for 3 whole carcasses (including heads) of fish such as sole, turbot, rockfish, or snapper.  I couldn't find these varieties in land-locked Utah so I used tilapia.  First melt 2 T of butter in a large stanless steel pot.  Add 2 onions and a carrot, coaresly chopped and cook for about 1/2 hour.  Add 1/2 c. dry white wine or vermouth (I used cranberry juice) and bring to a boil.  Add the fish carcasses and cover with cold, filtered water.  Add 1/4 cup vinegar.  Bring to a boil and skim off the scum and impurities as they rise to the top.  Add several sprigs of parsley, several sprigs of thyme and a bay leaf. Cover and simmer 4-24 hours.  Strain and store.  We will be moving to Massachusetts in May and I look forward to going to the Boston fish market and trying all kinds of fun fish stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment